Well, this was my first meet as a spectator. Very different perspective sitting along the side of the pool watching, checking on kids, taking pictures, visiting the snack bar, etc. Next week I will be back officiating as a finish judge, so this was my only opportunity to "relax" (ha!). I think this week was more work than officiating! I know it was more expensive!
This meet was a ways away (for those who know the area, I-10 and Wilcrest), and we had to travel in rush hour traffic to be there on time. Our other meets are in Katy and take about 10 minutes travel time. This was a little over 30 minutes, but when traveling in Houston traffic, you have to allow A LOT of extra time. You just never know how long it will actually take.
We arrived at the pool about 20 minutes before warm up. We got the girls set up in the bench area and me set up in the spectators area. Right before warm up, Vivian stepped on a pinecone and cut her right foot. It wasn't too bad, but having done it before myself, I know that it hurt. She didn't warm up, but we talked her into doing her relay (the team NEEDED her!). She's quite the drama queen, so it was a tough sell.
The meet started on time and moved quickly. Lightning started flashing about 2/3 of the way through. I got really concerned when they didn't stop the meet. After some investigation on my part, I found that one of our officials had a radar picture on his cell phone and one of our parents is a meteorologist. They said the storm was too far away to be a danger and that it was not moving. VERY disconcerting for a parent, but they said it was safe. Toward the end of the meet, the storm started moving. Our sky clouded up, and they considered calling the meet. We were just starting the freestyle relays, so they decided to keep going and try to finish the meet. After Emma Grace finished her relay, we booked.
Our team won the meet by less than 10 points. It was a very tough meet. The other team had several year-round swimmers, so even our best swimmers (who usually smoke the competition) had to step it up. Several of our kids who are used to getting blue ribbons didn't get them this time.
Vivian's results: 4th place freestyle relay (1st leg); 2nd place freestyle.
Emma's results: 2nd place medley relay (freestyle leg); 5th place 9&10 medley relay(swim-up, freestyle leg); 5th place freestyle; 3rd place backstroke; 5th place butterfly; 2nd place freestyle relay (1st leg).
If it appears that Emma Grace swam a lot, you're right. She had an amazing time trial on Monday night and qualified to swim backstroke and butterfly in addition to freestyle. THEN, unbeknownst to me, they grabbed her after the 7&8 medley relay to swim up in the 9&10 medley relay. She ended up swimming SIX races! She very nearly won the backstroke, but she hit the lane rope and broke rhythm. Third place is her best finish in that stroke, though.
I took some videos that I will post soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment