Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Very Last Ike Update - I Hope!

So, I thought we were through with hurricane updates. Clearly not. We have had a few more losses since the tree and the fence.

After the hurricane we went to turn on the desktop computer, but it wouldn't turn on. It was plugged into a surge protector, but Cliff went the extra step of completely unplugging everything, "Just in case." We plugged it all back in and found that everything worked except the computer. It does have lights on in the back -- maybe the modem? -- but it does not come on and boot up.

Cliff asked his IT guys at work about it, and they suggested replacing the power switch inside. Apparently several at his office needed to be replaced. They said it is inexpensive and easy to do. If that doesn't work, then I guess we're getting a new computer or rebuilding this one. Who knows?

So now we're all sharing the laptop, which has its own issues. And I had things on the desktop that are not on the laptop. So it has been an interesting week or so "working around" our loss.

Second, we apparently did have a leak in the girls' room. We knew before the hurricane that we had a roof leak and expected to have problems with it. We prepared as best we could, and through the hurricane and the heavy rain afterward, we didn't see any problems. Now, though, the room is beginning to smell of mold. Vivian, in particular, is having a hard time with stuffy nose and sneezing. Emma doesn't seem as bothered by it. So now we get to get in line with all the other people with home damage and try to get it fixed.

And finally, on Friday Cliff had an insurance adjuster look at his car. In the rain that followed Ike on Sunday morning, our street flooded. We had put the cars on the street to clean up the yard from the hurricane, and his got an inch or so of water inside but only on the drivers' side. He didn't really worry about it, but the adjuster totaled the car. So now we get to shop for a new car we weren't expecting to buy for another 2 years.

I know this is nothing like what has happened to so many who weathered the same storm. It could have been much worse. It is still a hassel and a pain, though.

1 comment:

perkoline said...

Looks like I can post comments now and not come up as "anonymous" (and therefore not allowed to post). As I emailed, I'm sorry all this has hit you, especially just as you're trying to get away on vacation! But there is something kind of exciting about a new car . . .