Friday, September 12, 2008

Hurricane Ike Update: 8:00 a.m.

I missed my last 2 planned updates last night. We put the girls to bed in our room about 8 p.m., but they were scared. The wind had picked up a bit and they were worried about what was to come. I went in to calm them and ended up falling asleep with them (I knew I would). Thus no evening updates.

About 3 a.m. I was awake, and I could tell Emma was awake. We held hands and listened to the storm. Around 3:30 all three of us were awake, so I suggested we get up and watch the storm.

Cliff was on the long couch, so I settled the girls on the smaller one and went to thekitchen. We still had power, so I popped some popcorn, split a ginger ale between them, and we settled in to watch the storm through the sliding glass door.

The wind was petty high. Debris was beginning to collect on the cars. The electricity flickered off a fewtimes. Very little rain, though. Just a lot of wind. Viv-ism for the experience: "This is more exciting than scary!" Emma's response: "No, its not."

We were struck by how calm the covered patio was. I really thought it could be turbulent, but is was very quiet. The pendant lights barely moved at all.

We went back to bed around 4:30 a.m. and slept (ha!) another 3 hours or so. By the time we got up, the power was officially off. We still have water thankfully.

Damage for us is limited to trees and fences. Cliff got out and walked around the house and our neighbor's house. No serious damage in the front - small brances and debris. The courtyard and side yard are fine. Our big losses arein the back. The back fence is partially down and we lost the top half of one tree - it is sitting on the back fence and probably keeping that part from going down, too.

On our street we have some downed tree limbs and some debris, but all in all it looks okay.

No comments: