day we adopted a Standard Poodle. She came with the name Henrietta, but that could change. We kinda like BlueBelle. As you can see from her photo, she's not jet black but more a blueish charcoal. She was shaved a bit too close the last time she was groomed, so she looks really skinny.Henrietta (or whatever we decide to call her) is 3 years old and an AKC Conformation Champion. She was never bred by her owner. She has had all of the requisite genetic and hip testing. She is breeding quality but was spayed as a condition of adoption. In addition she is heartworm negative and up to date on all shots. She even got a bath and fluff before we took her home.
We spent about 45 minutes with Henrietta before we decided to adopt her. In that time (and since) she has not barked once nor has she jumped. She is calm, curious, reserved, and happy. It took her a little while to warm up to us, but she's coming around. She is still a bit under the weather from her surgery, so we should see her true personality in a couple of days when she is fully recovered and comfortable with her new surroundings. Right now she's lying on the floor at the foot of my bed.
Of course we got her a sparkly new pink collar and matching leash (not well pictured here) and made the obligatory stop at PetsMart. She now has a food bowl and water dish, brush, comb, food, treats and "deli sticks". She will sleep on an old blanket until we determine whether she chews or not. No use investing in a bed if it gets shredded. We also splurged and got her a black t-shirt that says, "Super Model." She's a poodle, what can I say!
Henrietta belonged to a breeder who had to downsize quickly. He is 80 years old, and his wife just had a stroke. The rescue lady said that he packed each dog personally, making sure that each had its favorite toy or blanket. Then he literally crawled inside each crate to hug and kiss each dog. Hopefully we will be able to send updates to him, so he will know that Henrietta is happy in her new home. I know I feel good knowing that she came from such a loving environment.
I'll take more pictures and send an update soon!


4 comments:
What a beautiful dog! She sounds like just the right person to join the Johnson household. Welcome to the silly, sappy world of dog people. Orvis says, "Hubba, hubba!"
She's a beauty! I'll bt the girls are beside themselves about having a doggy in the house!
Congratulations!
This my first time to see the blog! I love the stories and pictures. I can't wait to meet Henrietta or Blue Bell...I like Henrietta, but I also think Clarabelle is a good one...after the cow in Emma's play. We can't wait to meet her!
Aunt Darby
Way to go Courtney! Didn't know you guys had a blog or a dog. Maybe now you can blog when you jump a log and see a frog dressed like a hog as you jog with your dog in a bog covered in fog! Congrats and we'll see you on Wednesday!
j
Post a Comment