
I am so proud of my big girl! (And of myself as her teacher).
Last night, on the way home from visiting Cousins Holly and Josh, we stopped to grab a quick dinner at the McDonald's drive-thru. The franchise is offering Happy Meal toys from Build-A-Bear Workshop, and the girls both got the cute little bunny wearing a red dress.
When Emma Grace finished eating and got her toy (yes, we were eating in the car), I heard a little voice from the backseat ask, "What does 'bab-wah' mean?" It took us a while to understand what she was asking, but we finally realized that she had sounded out the acronym on the bunny's dress (BABW). I just about cried! That is the first time she's tried to sound out a "word" without prompting from us! Yea!!
And then, today, she amazed me again. We were talking about Memorial Day and how we honor those men and women who died in service to our country. I mentioned the Vietnam War (or Conflict, whatever) briefly. Then Emma Grace piped up (again from the backseat), "that's what we watched on that t.v. thingy in Austin." Now, YOU may have no idea, but I did. She was talking about the exhibits at the LBJ Presidential Library in Austin. We visited the museum when we went to Austin the weekend after Eli was born. That's about six weeks ago!
What a memory! And to put it in context! That's impressive for any seven-year-old let alone one with the challenges that she faces!
Of course then Vivian says, "I remember that!" I'm sure she did, but she isn't the one who made the initial connection. I didn't even think to make the connection in giving my explanation, but it made sense once Emma Grace brought it up.
Ahhhhh! I'm basking . . . . .


1 comment:
And well you should bask. I suspect you of posting this "late." I check every day (with rare exception)for news of my girlies,and I'm just sure I didn't miss 4 or 5 days! But no matter. Good story, good feelings all around. You're doing a great job as teacher-mom!
Post a Comment