Tuesday, May 23, 2006

And now. . .In her stage debut. . .Miss Emma Grace Johnson!




When I asked Emma Grace what she wanted her activity to be this past school year she said she wanted to be an actress. So like a good mom, I found Drama Kids and signed her up. She went once a week for an hour to learn her craft through improvisation, skits, enunciation and diction, and other dramatic exercises.

In March they began rehearsals for their end of the year play, and she was so excited when she was cast as Clarabelle the Cow in their production of The Chicken-Hearted Fox. She worked hard on her lines and did VERY well remembering not just what to say but when to say it.

As the big day arrived, she informed me that she needed a costume -- "black and white from head to toe." I considered many options and decided to sew her costume. We selected the fabric together (cow print, of course), and we agreed that Clarabelle needed a cow bell. I bought a pajama pattern (so she could wear it more than once) and set to work.

On the day of the performance, I finished the costume, it fit perfectly, and she pronounced it "the best cow costume ever." Her interpretation of Clarabelle was inspired, her performance wonderful. We were so proud of her! She worked very hard, and it paid off!

I tried to put the video of the play on this site, but it proved to be too challenging for me to do at this time. Should I find an easier way, I'll post it then. Until that time, enjoy the pictures!

1 comment:

perkoline said...

What great pictures! I'm so impressed. Emma Grace is a lovely Clarabelle. And she's so fortunate to have a talented costumer . . . I hope the video is forthcoming.
Love, Gramma