
Doggie Update:
Taken from an email on June 6th to Mom -- "Blue Belle is now Princess. It fits better and is somewhat easier to say.
"I feel like we've been on a Honeymoon. So far, there is really nothing "wrong" with this dog. She is recovering nicely from her spay surgery. She does have an ear infection (not uncommon in poodles), but I have a home remedy that we're trying. If it is not better in a week or so, I'll take her in to the vet.
"She bonded instantly with Cliff. It is clear that her previous owner was male (we know that to be true). He's still a bit unsure about her, though. She's playful with me, which is nice to see. With the girls, she's more reserved -- particularly with Vivian. Viv is a little more rough and tumble, and I don't think Princess is quite ready for that. She's getting more used to the girls every day. Yesterday they had her up on their beds playing something. Princess just lay there and let them mess with her. Of course, they had the door closed, so there was nowhere to run and hide.
"Through experimentation we have learned that Princess has had no obedience training. So we get to start from scratch. No problem, though. I think we can do most of the basics ourselves. If not, we'll pay for training. She does fetch a little bit -- not at all like Orvis who could go all day. And she is calm when being examined (like for ear treatments).
"This morning we took her with us to the farm. Boy was that an experience! She was great with the other dogs. In fact, I think she would have enjoyed being off leash (but, of course, we're not ready for that). One of the males wouldn't leave her alone, and she turned and growled at him. He tried several times, but she fended him off with ladylike grace. They all sniffed each other, etc. Only one other dog gave her any trouble, and that dog has "issues." She really handled herself quite well. It gives me some assurance about taking her to the dog park.
"So far, we've had no potty accidents. She spends some time outside everyday -- not just in and out. I don't know how reliable she is, though. Just because we haven't had a problem, doesn't mean she is "trained." I believe she is "counter surfing," though. I find things on the floor in the morning that I know were one the counter the night before. She doesn't do it during the day, and she doesn't make a pest of herself when I'm cooking or when we're eating. I guess her curiosity or her boredom gets the best of her at night.
June 30th -- All of the above is still true. We have a delightful dog! The pictures are from yesterday. Princess was quite a good sport. The girls got quite creative, I'd say. Princess doesn't seem to mind, but she certainly doesn't initiate the dress up game.
Vivian is doing better with Princess. She approaches more calmly, pets her gently (usually), and takes her turn walking her. The girls are responsible for feeding her -- Emma Grace in the morning and Vivian in the evening. We all take turns walking her.
Her papers are on the way. Cliff spoke with the breeder who surrendered her, and he's happy to pass along the records he has for her. We should have them in a couple of weeks. It will be nice to know her birthday and registered name and to look up her AKC history.


2 comments:
Glad to hear Princess is doing well with her new family! And, you're right... based on the picture you posted earlier, "Princess" seems to fit better than "Blue Bell."
Welcome to dog-dom! :)
Man...pretty funny that we all have at least one dog, but growing up we weren't really a dog family. I think that was my role as a kid....I was like the puppy of the family. Everybody wanted to watch me do tricks, but got mad when I urinated on the carpet...
At least I got fed and watered..and had outside time! Glad you guys are participating in the joys of conditioning a canine to love you. Sure is fun!!!!
Post a Comment