Sunday, March 18, 2007

Rodeo Houston - Yee Haw!

Last night we went to the Houston Rodeo. Little did we know it was the night of the finals, and each event had a competition for a $50,000 prize. Vivian really got into "keeping score" on each event. We had a scorecard with the finalists for each event. She (and I when she got tired) wrote down each time or score as we went through the evening. The top four finishers in each event then competed again for the $50,000 prizes.

We saw some amazing competitors. The barrel race included a 63 year old woman who made it to the money round. The winners of the team roping were father and son. The bull riding competition included a 40 year old man who rides like a 20 year old (unfortunately, he fell in the money round).

The horses were amazing. The bulls were amazing. The speed events were amazing. We just had a great time! Cliff said the whole day was worth it just to see how much fun his girls had.

After the rodeo, we stayed for about half of the Brooks and Dunn concert. The girls enjoyed the music. Vivian enjoyed the fiddler. Emma Grace was beboppin' through most of it.

Unfortunately, my sock rubbed a blister on my foot, so we had to cut the night short. The girls were looking forward to riding carnival rides, but I just couldn't stand or walk without a lot of discomfort. Even trackin down a band-aide didn't help enough to stay longer.

Enjoy the pictures below:









Emma Grace: I liked the barrel racing. How tight the horses turned. They had to squat their legs.
Vivian: I liked keeping score.

2 comments:

perkoline said...

Wow! What a great rodeo experience. Vastly superior to ours here in FW last year. We went twice--with different groups of friends--and it was pretty dull. Of course, it wasn't "the finals," which surely made a difference. Love the bucking bareback pictures! I couldn't get the other one to enlarge, so couldn't really appreciate the two girls together--but they do look as if they're having a grand time! You guys sure do a lot of neat things.

Dan Perkins said...

Sounds like a great time! I have a friend who went to the Austin Fair and Rodeo and said was pretty dull. I guess they know how to do it up right in Houston!