Cliff's back went out Tuesday. He said it had been bothering him since last week (he was gone all week working at his Conference), but it got bad enough for him to tell me about it on Tuesday. He tried to go to a new chiropractor yesterday but had to go elsewhere to get xrays first. He thought it was loosening up yesterday, so we thought it would be okay to wait for the xrays to be delivered to the chiropractor last night or sometime today.
This morning when he tried to get up to go to work, he couldn't stand. He tried several times in the dark before I asked what was wrong. He admitted that he couldn't stand, but he didn't want any help. He did eventually let me help him get up (very slowly), get to the bathroom, and get dressed. For a while there, I thought we might have to have him transported by ambulance or call someone to help get him to the car, because I couldn't support him by myself.
We got the girls up about 6:45 (they wanted to go in their pajamas, of course) and went to the emergency room at our brand new Katy hospital. Fortunately, they got him right in. I think the whole thing (from leaving the house to leaving the hospital) took about an hour -- maybe less.
He now has a pain reliever and a muscle relaxant and orders to stay home from work. The girls are in bed with him now (yes, at almost 10:30am) keeping him company and playing their new Pet Vet computer game. Other than the pain and the not being able to move, he's a happy man!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
There must be a "back gremlin" out there who made massive attacks on Tuesday. I came home from early morning yoga with a real grabber in my right lower back, although I did NOTHING unusual during the workout. It plagued me all day yesterday, eased with ibuprofin, then grabbed me again today! Not as dramatic as Cliff's problem, thank goodness, but I'm feeling VERY sympathetic! The back is so basic to everything else . . .
I wish you a very speedy recovery, Clifford, and hope it's strictly muscular and responsive to the relaxant. Do you have a cane or a walking stick? Could be helpful when you HAVE to get up.
There certainly must be a back gremlin out there! Lisa strained her back helping to prevent a child in her class from slipping and falling on a wet floor! Poor Lisa was pretty stiff last night, but seems better today.
Post a Comment