Yesterday we learned a bit about ancient Mesopotamian art, and I wanted to share our creations with you. After looking at and reading about temples, ziggurats, sculpture, glazing and firing of mud bricks, and relief sculpture, our assignment was to create our own carving on clay using a dull pencil. We were to use as our inspiration the Processional Walk in Babylon, the "mixed up" animal sculpture from Ur, or our own imaginations.

This is Emma Grace's carving entitled "The Mountains of O"

This is Vivian's "Driffin," with the head of a dog, the wings of an eagle, and the body of a lion.

And this is my lion.
1 comment:
I'm so impressed with your creativity! Modern interpretations of ancient traditions. When I get back to Texas, I will look through the posters and other visuals I used when I taught World History to see if I have anything that might be a nice addition to your materials. I have one of a brick lion from Sumerian times, but by the time I get home, you'll be someplace else! China, or India, maybe. But I'll look and see what I have. Love, Gramma
Post a Comment