Yea! I finally have some baking success!
I already told you about Chebe. It has saved pizza for us. Being wheat and yeast free, we were going to have a very hard time finding a substitute. Chebe bread works extremely well as a calzone. We have also made bread sticks and biscuits. The girls like them quite well. I prefer it in the calzone form.
The latest successes are crescent rolls and sugar cookies. I ordered flour from the Better Batter Flour website. It is supposed to substitute 1 for 1 with regular wheat flour and give a similar taste and texture. This is what I used for the 2 recipes.
The crescent roll recipe came from a gf blog. I tried it a couple of weeks ago with Bob's Redmill All Purpose flour, but it didn't work well for me. I also didn't care for the bean-y flavor (due to garbanzo bean flour). But this time, I used the BB flour, and the result was very good.
Here's the recipe:
Crescent Rolls
1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup), room temperature
3/4 cu small curd cottage cheese
1 cup gf flour mix (author used rice/potato starch/tapioca blend)
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 TBS sugar
In the bowl of your mixer, combine the butter and cottage cheese. Add dry ingredients. Mix until a ball of dough forms.
Chill 2 hours (or overnight if using in the morning).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On lightly floured piece of parchment paper, roll the dough into a 14 inch circle. Cut into 8 triangles (easy with a pizza cutter).
Roll each triangle from wide end to tip, turning ends to form a crescent shape. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment and bake 20 to 30 minutes.
Use dough to wrap little smokies or hotdogs or make cinnamon rolls.
For the sugar cookies, I used a recipe that I already had and like very much. I just substituted the BB flour and got a very good result. It might also work with another all purpose gf blend. We made a full recipe and cooked some. I will freeze the rest and bake as needed. With the cost of store bought gf cookies, I really need something I can make for less here at home. Here's my recipe:
Special Occasion Sugar Cookies from Country Journal (makes 5 1/2 dozen)
1 cup sugar
3/4 cu butter, softened
1 egg
3 TBS whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla 1 tsp almond extract
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Combine sugar, butter, egg, cream, vanilla, almond extract. Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Beat at low speed until soft dough forms. Cover and chill 1-2 hours, or until firm.
Heat oven to 400 degrees. On floured surface, roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut desired shapes into dough. Place shapes 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sugar (if desired). Bake 4-6 minutes (my oven takes a bit longer), or until edges are light golden brown.
Prepare frosting, if using; decorate cookies as desired. Let dry completely before storing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I'm really glad you posted this crescent roll recipe. I can say from first-hand experience that the Better Batter crescent rolls are really good. I will make these for us, and we don't need to be GF.
Had the Chebe calzones, too, and they were delicious.
Thanks,Courtney!! You've enlarged our horizons.
Post a Comment