To make pink eggs:
Boil 3-4 peeled beets (no greens or stems) in enough water to cover, then turn down heat and cook for 20 minutes. Add raw eggs, bring back to a boil, then turn off and let sit for 20 minutes.
To make yellow eggs:
Place eggs in pan with enough water to cover. Add 2 tablespoons turmeric to water. Bring to a boil, then turn off and let sit for 20 minutes.
To make blue eggs:
Place 1 bag frozen blueberries in pot with eggs. Cover with water. Bring to a boil then turn off and let eggs sit for 20 minutes.
To make orange eggs:
Take left over beet water and left over turmeric water, add eggs, bring to a boil, turn off and let sit 20 minutes.
To make green eggs:
Take left over turmeric water and left over blue berry water, add eggs, bring to a boil, turn off and let sit 20 minutes.
To make purple eggs:
Take left over beet water and left over blue berry water, add eggs, bring to a boil, turn off and let sit 20 minutes.
Our results were less than stellar. I didn't follow the directions exactly and had to make a substitution, so I got blah results. I didn't peel the beets, so they turned out pale yellow. That was weird, because the water looked magenta. I guess I found out the hard way that there is a pigment in the skin.
I didn't have 12 oz of blueberries, so I used what I had (about half that). This was our best result, but it wasn't as vibrant as the picture on the website.
I didn't have turmeric, and Mom said I could use chili powder, so I tried that. It was supposed to be dark orange, but it turned out light to medium yellow.
I think I'll try the beets again and follow the directions this time.
Here's a picture of what I got:
The 4 on the top left are blueberry. The four across the bottom are beet (really!) and the top 4 on the right are chili powder.
I was going to show the girls how to use the dye for cloth, but with less than stellar egg results, I decided not to do the fabric. Besides, I hadn't washed the fabric to remove any finish and prepare it for dying. Maybe next time. . . . .


1 comment:
Once again,I KNOW I posted a comment yesterday, and it's not here! And I remember moving from Preview to Publish, so it's not that. Where do these things go???
Okay--basically what I said was: I'll take the hit for the poor beet performance. I never peel my beets, always get a wonderful rosy red water, and thought it would be a timesaver for you. Wrong.
Went on to give another web site for natural dyes, if anyone is interested: http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/113/eastereggs.
It has a nice list of vegetable sources on page 2.
Your blue looks like it got quite a bit darker with time -- but the chili powder never did do a "dark orange," did it?
Well, it was fun being with you girls, and we love you lotz and lotz. Mom
Post a Comment