Tuesday, August 28, 2007

We're Getting Pounded!!

About 20 minutes ago, the skies opened right over our house. I checked the weather radar and got to watch a "typical" summer afternoon shower blossom over our neighborhood.

After dealing with tears and shaking from the (very) loud thunder (again, right over our house), I checked the street and found water standing about 3 ft up our driveway. The drains on both sides of the street are totally overwhelmed by the amount of water, so the street is flooding. Fortunately, it still has a VERY long way to go to get into the house (highly unlikely). Once the rain slows or stops it won't take long to drain away. As I write, the sound of rain pelting our skylights has diminished considerably.

Here's what I saw just a few minutes ago:




1 comment:

Caroline said...

I am just now up and running on the net after 10 days of having to use a motel or Internet cafe machine, hence the late comment. What a downpour! Your picture brings back memories of a couple of late afternoon "showers" in Plano that made me glad we were on a high slope -- water overflowed the creek and made it to the street! Also had a gully-washer here in Montana on Vivi's birthday. I was in Whitefish and missed it (spent the night there), but trees were down, gravel was washed off the road, and . . . everything was green! After no rain at all for weeks, this was kind of an overkill.