Today is the first anniversary of my friend Amy's passing. It has been a fairly uneventful day. I half expected to be more preoccupied with it than I have been. We've kept busy -- lessons, swimming, cooking. This is really the first opportunity I've had to think much about it.
Looking back over the year, I see that we've all moved on. But it is so different from what it could have been.
Jesse and the kids have a new mobile home (which Amy desperately wanted for her family) lovingly re-modeled by our church congregation. Jesse has a good job that allows him to be much more available to the kids than before Amy passed. The kids seem to be doing well, although I'm sure there are times when they miss Amy terribly. Nathan turned 9 in March, Jeff turned 8 last week, and Jessica is 6.
As for me, I still haven't found a "go to" person. To tell the truth, I haven't really tried. I still miss Sonic nights and visiting with my friend. Going to the church isn't quite the same for me. So many of my memories of her are linked to the church -- VBS, cooking, drama productions, office work, Bible study, conferences. Everywhere I go and everything I do seems somehow incomplete, because she's not there. She was ALWAYS there. And now she's not. And I notice.
I know that the feeling of incompleteness (sorry, I can't think of a better word) will fade, I'll make more friends, and life will go on. This is where I am right now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Beautifully said, Sweetie. You and Amy were so fortunate to have had each other, however short the time was. Other good friendships will come your way, but I'm sure this one will remain extra-special forever.
Post a Comment