Sunday, May 20, 2007

2007 Muddy Buddy is in the Books!

This morning, John and I completed our second Muddy Buddy competition. We had a lot of fun and got REALLY muddy!

Quick reminder of Muddy Buddy format: 2 people on a team, 1 mountain bike, 6-7 miles of trail, 5 obstacles. One buddy starts on the bike; the other starts on foot. At the first obstacle, the biker drops the bike, completes the obstacle, and starts running. The runner arrives, completes the obstacle, picks up the bike and starts riding. The biker will pass the runner on the trail. At the next obstacle, they switch again. This continues to the end of the race. At the final obstacle, the buddies reunite, crawl on their bellies through a 100 ft mud pit, and run across the finish line together.

We had a really good run today. I think the course was longer this year than last year but not by much. Last year the event was in August, so we had the vicious Texas heat to contend with. But today was GREAT! It was a bit overcast and just slightly chilly when we started. Over the course of the race, it drizzled a little but not enough to affect the course at all. One major difference from last year was the mud and water on the trail. In August, the creekbeds are dry and the trails are dusty. Today, we had a bit of mud and water and terrific trail conditions.

I started on the bike -- same as last year -- and I think I ran more than I walked this time. The cool weather made it easier. The bike sections we good for me. I did have one fall on a very steep, gravel-ly drop off. There was traffic coming up to it, so I got off the bike, slipped, and fell with the bike on top of me. But I got up, got down the hill, and got back on the bike. Other than that and a slight twist of my ankle on my first run section, I had a good day. Even the "Hill of Death" didn't seem as daunting as last year.

We had a couple of different obstacles this year from last, but most were familiar. The first was a balance beam -- that had been later in the race last year. The second was an inflatable slide with a cargo net up and slide down (same position as last year). Then a 5 ft. climbing wall with cargo net on the back side (new), then an "over/under" obstacle (new), and of course THE MUD! I think I handled most pretty well. Cargo nets are tricky, but I did really well on the balance beam.


As I got close to the final obstacle (mud), I saw Cliff and the girls. I could hear Vivian cheering the other participants before I could see them. I was on the bike but ended up having to get off and walk it as I came up to them (around a sharp turn where people tend to pile up). Vivian cheered for me (very encouraging). Emma Grace did, too, although she was much more quiet in her encouragement. Cliff took pictures. John and I hit the mud and crossed the finish line. Cliff took more pictures.

THEN it was time for the Mini Muddy Buddy! Vivian suited up and ran like a pro. She ran through tires, walked a board on the ground, scaled two 4 ft walls, and traversed the mud pit (standing up, partly because the officials said to, and partly because she didn't want to get mud on the shirt that I bought at the thrift shop for her to wear and get muddy (it was "too cute," she said)). I had to do the mud pit with her (rules), but I didn't mind. It was fun, but I like crawling better. Viv lost her shoes in the process -- one in the mud pit and one coming out of the mud pit. We didn't even try to find them. Thankfully we had brought "disposable" ones! Here are her before, during, and after shots. Notice no shoes!




Finally, we all cleaned up (as much as we could) and went back to John's to shower. While we were hosing down, it rained very lightly. This evening at supper, Emma Grace made a funny. I said that I was tired. Cliff asked, "Why?" I responded that I had done the Muddy Buddy and reminded him that it was 6-7 miles long. He said, "So." And without missing a beat Emma Grace said, "Yeah, I stood out in the cold rain while you cleaned up." As if that's anywhere near the same. But it WAS funny!

Hope you enjoyed this long post and the pictures!