I have been experimenting with GF baking and have had a little success.
Today I tried our family's traditional Christmas breakfast, THE Christmas Coffee Cake. I figured I should try it now rather than hope it worked on Christmas morning. YEA! It worked!
I changed 2 things from the original recipe. Margarine doesn't work for us anymore, because I can't find one that is soy- and corn-free. So I used butter. I also substituted Better Batter GF flour for the traditional cake flour (wheat). Oh, I also left out the pecan pieces -- Vivian doesn't like nuts, so I decided to indulge her.
I was a little concerned that the final product would be heavy and perhaps lack the texture to which I am accustomed. Boy was I surprised! I'm sure if I could do a side-by-side comparison I would find many differences, but I was impressed with the result. Flavor was wonderful as was texture. The batter had been gritty, but the final broduct was fluffy and smooth. I wish I had a camera and could show you how it looked. Beautiful!
The girls agreed that it was yummy. They will get to take some on their NASA overnight this weekend!
YEA! I love it when a plan comes together!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Glad to know the Tradition can continue without harm done! Is Better Batter GF flour available in stores, or is it an online thing?
Yay! I'm so excited you got this recipe to work without the wheat flour! I've tried making it GF a couple times, but haven't had success. I'll be looking forward to enjoying it at Christmas again!
Better Batter is available from www.betterbatter.org. (It is regionally available in some stores in the East.) It is not cheap, and shipping is high, so it may not be a good investment for everyone.
Post a Comment